Friday, July 27, 2012

The Poudre

Because my boss is awesome, he said get out by 1 o'clock to head up to our very first camping excursion.  So I ended up getting out at 1:30, picked Mike up, and we were out of Longmont by 3.  It's a good thing, too...but I'll get to that.

We had packed up the Explorer with all our camping gear, backpacks with limited clothing items, bedding, the Dog Camping Kit (like kids but with more hair and less talking back), the new cooler, non perishables, and lots of wine.  I laid out a blanket hoping to fill in the crevices into which Kona could hurl (almost made it) and threw the pups in the back.  When I put them on their leashes, Keebs immediately looked for an opening in the car into which he could jump.  Kona just sat there.  So when Keebs jumped back out as I was about to pick Kona up, I said "AYE!  In the car!"  After which BOTH dogs (to my shock) jumped in the back.

Alright!

About 5 minutes later I heard Kona give a couple heeves and I just pray he's not doing it in the back corner.

Puked in the back corner. 

Pretty much wherever I hope he doesn't is where he ends up losing his breakfast. 

Oh well.  Company car!

Anywho, we hit the Poudre Canyon around 3:30 and start seeing the aftermath of the High Park fires up north.  So sad to see the amount of forest that burned; but what was even more disturbing was the water in the Poudre River. 

It ran black. 
 
Totally freaked me out when I first saw it, and then it occured to me that sitting in the river was quickly becoming a historical wish.  We watched river rafters getting out at one point, and their legs look like they'd rubbed ash all over themselves.

No thank you.

Add that to my already deepening concern that we weren't going to get a spot and relaxation couldn't have been further from my mind.  Except for the more westerly we went, the more relaxed I became.  I don't know why, but the prospect of the entire weekend took a weight off my shoulders.

We passed several US Forest Service campsites, and about 20 minutes away from ours realized we could see the bottom of the river again.  We arrived at Kelly Flats at 4:30 to find the very last campsite available.  It just so happened to also be absolutely perfect.
There was even a fence we utilized to "air out" the puke blanket!  It could not have been more perf in size or location - just down from the potty and water spicket (I refrained from taking photos despite the facilities being surprisingly nice for, you know, basically being a hole in the ground; you're welcome). 

After we set up camp Mike went to work on dinner immediately.  Puppies are like, "WTF?!"  Seriously.
 "WTF, Mom?"
Epic cowboy steaks firepit-grilled with (I know, it sounds disgusting, but it's awesome) cottage cheese and tomato.  Unreal.  You may also appreciate the camp gear.  We purchased two GSI products, the Bugaboo Camper Cookset and the Crossover Kitchen Kit.  Worth. Every. Penny.  These tiny (like, tiny) sets when all packed up unfold to be two pots, a pan, four cups, bowls, plates, and then cooking accessories you don't think about needing!  All small enough that we can backpack (eventually) with them!  It makes my organizational heart so happy.
Kona appreciated the smells...look at that face!  Le sigh...
Oddly enough the dogs wouldn't relieve themselves in the campsite, which I guess was a good thing?  But that meant walking them several times in an attempt to get them to pee.  It offered us ample opportunity to work on leash skills...which turned out to be a great thing.  Keebs and Dat:
After our final evening dub, Mike busted out his camping surprise - a myriad cheeses, crackers, baguette, and dried fruits to enjoy by the camp fire.  Despite the scattered rain, the evening could not have been more beautiful.

Also, I'm pretty sure we went to bed at 9pm.  Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment