Friday, July 6, 2012

Mystery Trip: Day 4

Beloved Double Tree - such a funky hotel, comfy and nice but quaintly old.  Also, their breakfast buffet is stellar (and free if you do Hilton Honors!).
He's so cute...
Mike had bene throwing me for a loop on our final two-night destination, and had me so worried about the drive home on Sunday (at one point he said "Arizona"), which made me cringe at the possibility of ending our wonderful trip with a twelve hour drive.  So he finally told me where we were going, and my initial reaction was "Where?!"
 As you can see, the scenery gave nothing away...but fortunately Mike did so I wouldn't worry.
 We went through Silverthorn and Ouray...at which I really wanted to stop, but was just too excited to get to our destination.
 And then the scenery started to change...
When we finally came upon it...Palisade, Colorado!  Home of over 75% of the state's vinyards, and the unofficial Peach Capital of Colorado.  Also, Mike's and my new haven!
Being from Texas, I am a bit of a B&B snob, as very few can do it like Texas can.  I can honestly say, DiVine Thyme B&B exceeded any expectations I could've had (and it was a surprise to begin with!).
This is Bogart ("Bogie"), the resident canine.  Poor guy was fourteen and moved slowly...until the applewood smoked bacon was served!
Mike reserved the suite for our two-night stay - complete with a gorgeous two sink bathroom, humongous shower, bedroom, sitting room, and balcony over looking...well...this:
And we rented bikes for the entire weekend for only $10!  Sweet vintage cruisers.  The grandest thing was, Mike hadn't ridden a bike in a decade, and was deathly afraid of riding.  But for the sake of this trip, and the love of his life, he tried...
Ended  up absolutely loving it!  We biked to the tiny downtown, where just one or two shops, the town's grocer, and a couple of restuarants were.
In the end none of those suited our evening's fancy, so we kept riding through the tiny town to find some interest art...
 And home grown pups!
And eventually found ourselves at Palisade Brewing Company for some finger-lickin' bar food.
 Yes.  It's basically in a metal building.  So small town.  I enjoyed a fresh-brewed rootbeer.
 Mike had a marg (no beer for that man ever again).
Next, and right across the street, was Peach Street Distillers, where they make some incredible home-grown vodka, gin, and other liquors and mix them into fascinating combinations!
I quite enjoyed the Cherry Limeade and Chocolate Float.  This pretty much sums them up: "Our Vodkas are available throughout Colorado, where ever fine people sell fine things... with booze in them."
 From there, we biked back to our little room to enjoy the beautiful, cool night and lovely surroundings.

3 comments:

  1. And we witnessed yet more people who could be classified as "a hot mess".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm not sure about the yellow on white combination, gives me hurty eyes

    ReplyDelete