Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mystery Trip: Day 3

Durango-bound!  This was probably my favorite part of all the driving.  Just beautiful, and very few people on this little mountain road!  But first...the Rose's most beautiful day!
We took 114 (a major back road) to take the scenic route.  It was well-worth the cattle on the road...and the stop at my very first camp toilet!  Go me.  All I could think of was Stephen King's short story "A Very Tight Place" (in Just After Sunset)...totally freaked myself out.
 Getting close now...and so beautiful.
BAM!  Main Street!  We walked around going into shops we felt might be of interest, holding hands, and reveling in mystery trip happiness.  Urban Nomad had to be my favorite (although Durango Olive Oil has the most incredible 18 year balsamic - I got me some) due to all the cheap earrings I snagged (with Mike's help). 
 So pretty in the summer...
We went back to The Double Tree (just a block away from Main - we highly recommend) to shower (it was warmish) and change for Ken & Sue's!  One of the most incredible restaurants in Colorado, where I also discovered Bogle Petit Sirah.  As you can see, I was very pleased.
 We tried to sneak a photo in front of the restaurant despite this crazy guy blocking our path trying to sell Obama buttons.  Based on peoples' reactions, there are a lot more conservatives in Colorado for which I would've given the state credit prior to the incident.
A very nice young man that worked at Ken & Sue's came out and offered to take our picture; I thought he was going to beat the Button Guy up if he didn't move...
 Gorgeous.
 We ended on a high note at our favorite Irish Pub - The Irish Embassy!
 The green walls are classic.
It was pretty dead, so the bartender was pretty good to us!  We enjoyed talking with him, but my favorite part was when both he and Mike busted out pictures of their rescue dogs on their phones.  Precious.


2 comments: