Thursday, August 6, 2009

Snuffles

Tonight in my hospital gift shop shift...I arranged these:

I had two of these bears, as did my sister, when she had barely grown hair, and I had almost white-blong curls. It was an especially cold winter, with both of us in our footie PJs, hanging on the floor of the living room with our parents and our Snuffles. As I have always believed, very-loved stuffed animals have feelings, too. Which, regrettably, made my collection add up to an insurmountable amount in the attic because I was so afraid of hurting one's feelings by giving it away. It was in that mindset that I realized Snuffles was cold! So I sat him beside me on the brick hearth to warm his cute little bum.

It wasn't very long until my parents smelled a faint, unfamiliar odor...

And Snuffles #1 since then has had half of his back fur completely melted. The part of his back that wasn't shoved against my leg as I held him lovingly against me had become a thick coat of dishevled plastic.

I still have that bear. I will love him til the day I die. And when I get to heaven, I'm pretty sure my house will have one that is large enough to sit on.

With fire-proof fur.

Delicate by Damien Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment