Monday, May 26, 2008

"There are no exceptions to the rule that everyone thinks they're exceptions to the rule"

Stick a cigarette in this bird's mouth and you'd have one of Banksy's ingenious pieces of grafitti art. I am fascinated by Banksy. I've been following his illegal work in countries across the globe for years now. I bought his book Wall And Peace and finally sat down to look through it. I was delighted to find not only pieces I hadn't seen, but little tid bits from the artist himself. I think what I love most about him is he's an artist that doesn't act like one. He puts himself in the same category of those to whom he's trying to make a statement. The lack of haughty, egotistical artist dribble pretty much makes my day. So, today's post (and since I now see parts of his art everywhere) is my little tribute to Banksy.

"You can win the rat race but you're still a rat... What we need in this race is a lot more streakers."

"Sometimes I feel so sick a the state of the world I can't even finish my second apple pie."

"If you want someone to be ignored then build a lifesize bronze statue of them and stick it in the middle of town."

"I need someone to protect me from all the measures they take in order to protect me."

"The time of getting fame for your name on its own is over. Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a by-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a s***."

"Remember crime against property is not real crime. People look at an oil painting and admire the use of brushstrokes to convey meaning. People look at a graffiti painting and admire the use of a drainpipe to gain access."

No comments:

Post a Comment