Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Land of my Sojourn

In the 2 years I've been trapsing about the country, I can honestly say that arriving at EBR-I after offroading somewhere on INL property was the most scared I've ever been. Here I am having just driven up to an ancient nuclear power plant outside of which are these incredibly creepy looking reactor heaters, kicking myself, "What in the world am I thinking?!" When I realized, the more important question would have been: "What in the world were we thinking?!" We had no idea what we were dealing with. And I'm sure that it never occured to those first scientists they'd be burying two of their own in lead coffins after the first fatal nuclear accident. I can't explain my morbid fascination with INL, Arco, and the history of nuclear development, but I alway enjoy this drive...



When the old world started dying...

Nobody tells you when you get born here
How much you'll come to love it
And how you'll never belong here

So I call you my country
And I'll be lonely for my home
I wish that I could take you there with me

No comments:

Post a Comment