Monday, January 17, 2011

Basements: Everyone Should Have One

Ah the black stairs leading down to the basement that once so baffled our color-blind pooch.  These stairs led to mass chaos of storage and the result of many "Where should I put this" questions.  It was just a wasted space, with workout paraphernalia strewn about in various corners.  Despite being finished, it wasn't being used.

I'd also like to add something to the entrance down, but we'll deal with that later.  Project!
I took the few pieces of furniture being stored down there and, after some elbow grease, a fat lip, and ingenuity in moving things I shouldn't have been moving alone, I managed to separate the space into two areas all their own.  To the left, the Workout Room.  My old Mac used as a DVD player for Tony Horton sits on top of Mike's old TV stand, which doubles as an exercise stuff holder (as you can see).  I lined all the weights up to be easily reached, and in front of the mirrors that were already there.  Complete with chair (needed for some arm moves) and mats all nice and stored, it makes for the perf space!
The door that leads to the basement crawlspace where all our storage actually is (most of which is empty boxes - just in case) doubles as a band holder for Legs & Back workouts.  Also Kona.  Who is not allowed in the basement due to the black carpet and it's ability to make Kona's shedding glaringly obvious.

Don't tell Mike.
But my *obvious* fav space: the craft nook to the right!  This small space used to hold the old TV stand and varios piles of stuff we didn't want to deal with.  But the size is SO PERF for a craft biz area, especially now that I have my mom's old sewing machine (thanks Mom!).
My vintage desk is now relatively glued back together, the white shelves were already there above it when we moved in.  Much of the organizational biz was in my closet not being put to good use when I changed how I stored my sweaters.  It's functional, albeit not that pretty, down here.  Another one of Mike's original dining room chairs (both of which had been sitting in the basement) doubles as a piano bench to Tim's overwhelming keyboard with 300 settings.  As long as I can get it to sound like a Grand, that's all I'm worried about.  The wooden shelves were my great grandmother's, and were originally my library holder.  But we all know we don't need those anymore!

So total cost of said basement redo?  $0.  The difference some effort, organization, determination, and use of stuff we already had can make!

The best part?  Mike LOVES it!  Yay!

1 comment: