Friday, December 13, 2013

Wake Up Call

I woke up the day after my birthday (the day we were all headed to Black Hawk for a big birthday celebration) to a 3:30am phone message from Leslie.  I can write about it now (that I'm super late on updating the blog) without getting emotional, but at the time our worlds were rocked.

Tommy came out of the bathroom after brushing his teeth, and just fell over.  He was unresponsive, couldn't speak, couldn't move.  The ambulance took him to the nearest hospital, which quickly determined he had suffered a massive stroke.  They loaded him onto a helicopter to be taken for surgery at Swedish Medical, the premier stroke hospital in the state.  And they told Leslie to say goodbye then, because no one knew if he would make it there, much less into and out of surgery.

I ran to her house to pack her a bag and pick up her pup, and as people began descending upon the hospital, we were one of the many who showed up to show love to this incredible couple.  With hindsight, Tommy is doing just incredible.   He's regained his speech and mobility, he's slowly and surely recovering to his self again.  It's been inspiring to watch.  But it was a terrbile day as friends, helpless in almost every way.

We canceled the trip and remained in shock for most of the weekend.  The Groesbecks came over to spend the Friday evening, and that was when I cried.  I just couldn't believe this had happened: to someone we knew and loved, to someone so young.  It resulted in a group hug which Mike made less awkward with some sort of funny comment I don't remember now.  But I was, and am, so thankful for the life I have, and the friends I have in it.

Kona milked the evening for all it was worth; Max was just confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment