Tuesday, December 10, 2013

R Squared

Due to limited space in Sunny (a Taurus), this year I decided to do all of my Wetterling and Firethorn Christmas Gift Exchange shopping online on Amazon.  Not to sound like too much of a commercial: Amazon Prime is one of the best purchases we've ever made.  Free shipping, the option to gift wrap, easy organization.  And I don't have to do anything but click "Purchase".

And, you know...pay for it.

Anyway, I did end up spending quite a bit of money on gift wrapping due to not completing the task myself.  So by the time I started thinking of wrapping the presents under the Clayton Tree, my brain (and wallet) were starting to hurt.

So I gathered some items from the basement: an old dictionary and essays book, glue sticks, some butterfly stickers and paper that I'd purchased last year at Hobby Lobby for a project that never transpired, random blank tags, some cut up fabric from my crochet rug I'd hoarded because I loved it so much, and (this part is my favorite) some butterfly decorations that I'd randomly saved from Step Child's wedding because I have a thing for butterflies.

The road to hoarding is paved with "I could use this some day".

But in this case I was correct.
I then took the plethora paper bags I've had under my sink since birth...or at least since I moved here...including one from a 2007 meeting at the AmericInn in SLC, several TJ's, and some Christmas Bath & Body bags...
 And turned them into this:
 Yes.  That is a bow made of out plastic King Soopers bags.  Go on...appreciate.
The tags say "Meke" and initials for "Love of my Life" because that's how we answer the phone when the other calls.  I had the stamps from this project.
Book page wrapping.  More crochet rug fabric ribbon and yet another KS bow.  And a Mason Jar.  Because really, why the hell not.
Best part: the tissue I already had on hand (or grabbed out of Amazon boxes in some cases) thanks to learning to save every piece of tissue paper from every gift ever given maniacally (love you, Mom!).

So that brings the Total Cost to: zero dollars.

I also emptied out a plastic tub (because really who needs 27 pillows) so I can put all of the wrapping (besides the small square packages wrapped in book pages) accoutrement away and re-use it all next year.

Recycling FTW.

2 comments: