Monday, September 2, 2013

End of the Line

I was totally dreading the drive home.  Seven hours with no stops to speak of on the last day of an epic road trip.  It was just going to be sad.

How could I ever think that?!
We made a quick stop on our way out of town to the Nebraska State Museum at Morril Hall.  We used to visit this incredible natural history museum every summer we came to Lincoln.  I remember these mastodons being massive.
We went in just to see the front - and the kind volunteer let us take a photo in the entrance without paying to take the tour.
It smelled just like it did over 20 years ago...
 Worlds Largest?
 Cool museum built over I-80.
We learned all about the Rest Stop Sculptures strewn about I-80, and the drama that ensued over their abstractness.  Fascinating what people get up in arms about.  But I actually really loved this one.  It moves with wind currents!
 I don't mind abstract park equipment either.
We stopped at the third Mexican restaurant we tried in North Platte, NE.  The first said they were open on the phone and promptly (and rather testily) told us they were closing when we walked up.  The second didn't exist?!  We really wanted us some queso.
From there we listened to Freakonomics thanks to the public library, and recounted the past (amazing) three days.  Top five trips.  For sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment