Sunday, February 10, 2013

Let me take your hat

The latest project at Chez Quivas: redoing the entry-way!  This little project has been in the works for about a month, mainly because: 1. I'm a chicken and 2. I have friends in north Denver now, which apparently takes up a lot more free time than I remember. :-)

This is our "Before" entryway.  I still need to find a place for our lovely dragon hanging, as Dorothy sewed it for Mike in college.  Here's how that conversation went:

Mike: "Hey, so I think I'm getting a tattoo with Chinese symbols."

Dorothy: "If I make you a wall hanging with a dragon and those symbols, will you promise me you won't get a tattoo?"

Aaaaaaand the wall-hanging was born.

But I digress.  I found the gossip bench at ARC last summer (Heidi's birthday no less) for $20. The books I had, and the camera was also an ARC jewel for $2. 
So.  $30 in 3M hooks later (and a preemptive strike with the ancient antique mirror from Goodwill that, for $10, I couldn't pass up), we have this:
With my epic new sewing machine, I sewed the ends of leftover (from this project and this project) ties together to recover the seat on my sweet little bench.  Also the biggest reason why this project took forever.  Why I would take the time on such a fairly insignificant detail, you ask?  I have absolutely no idea.
Well, I do.  If I'm honest, my life is all about the details.  So much so that I miss the big picture a lot of the time.  Even my work evaluation said as much (didn't stop me from getting the Top Achiever, though, just sayin').  So what if my parents, and maybe one friend, are the only ones that notice.  I notice.  To quote my regional manager, "It's your world, we're just living in it."
I believe we've established our love for Goorin Bros Hats.  Combine my love of decorating with things that make me happy and our love of hats?  You've got the best entryway ever.

4 comments:

  1. KENDRA!
    I am dying--- this is beyond perfect!!!!!!! Seriously love it.
    (P.S.-- way to go, Top Achiever!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie! So good to hear from you, made my day!

    Mike, I'm glad you let me do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS. You have NO idea how much I love this! The hats and the tie chair! Sooooo worth all the effort! I've realized I love hats too and am slowly building my collection now! Anyway - miss ya!

    ReplyDelete