Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I love this bike

When I went to college, I took a bike my family had given my grandma that she'd NEVER USED. Once. It was a dark purple 50s style cruiser with wide handle bars and the comfiest seat imaginable. One speed. And I rode that thing all over campus. I explored every nook and cranny of A&M with that bike, who I affectionately named Sam.

I wrote stories about my faithful steed (Samuel) and my fierce guard bear Curby (photos to come). Pages and pages of away messages that made my life into a fairy tale (complete with ECON ogres and GEOG gnomes and of course the dreaded Finance Witch). I ran out of the dorm crying into the windy arms of this two-wheel wonder, escaping to wherever that gear-and-leg-led mobile device could take me, as long as it was away from the reality of my freshman year. I was known for that bike, man. The Bench Boys of Moore knew me by that bike; and every time I'd go by on another adventure they'd say hello to both of us.

So when I moved to Colorado, naturally I brought him with me. Rusted, with holes in the seat, I still loved that bike. I even rode it a couple times with Jen and Colin, cursing the single speed on the hills trailing their mountain bikes. But still.

I loved that bike.

I was reminded just how deep that love ran when I arrived at Jen's house to find that she and Colin completely overhauled it. One of her body shop's painted it ice blue, the same color as my old Taurus. Colin painted the handle bars silver and put new handles on them that match the new seat and the stickers Jen put on herself. I hear there was major cussing involved with those things...

She even had one of her diesel techs put in a new gear crank! "Everywhere I went I found one person who was incredibly helpful, who helped to put it all together! And after I'd finished every part, you would call me and I'd have to bite me lip not to tell you what I'd been doing! Every single time! An amazingly helpful person AND YOU WOULD CALL!" So we biked to Qdoba and enjoyed the incredible weather in this magnificent state.

I. Love. This. Bike.



Ready Fuels by Anberlin

1 comment: