Saturday, October 5, 2013

Joy

I met Leslie and her (and I guess now my) mutual friend Guy's two daughters at Color Me Mine in Boulder this afternoon.  Emma, 11, and Addy, 7, were both very unsure of my addition to their afternoon outing.  We painted our respective cups (over sized coffee mugs for Leslie and me, an "I Love Daddy" mug for Addy, and a wine goblet for Emma...), listened to Addy go through her repertoire of nursery school songs, repainted, talked, and then left for Boulder Cafe for treats...kids AND adults.

After a glass of wine and some really great queso, the conversation quickly turned to farts (the kids) and disbelief that Addy wasn't going to be paying for the meal (the adults).  After a strange but fun afternoon wherein I realized it had been a long time since I was their age, we headed to our cars and on our separate ways.

Leslie picked Addy up and gave her a piggy back ride.  A few steps out, and for the life of me I still can't figure out what made me do it, I turned to Emma and said "Look here, there is a one-time offer."  I bent down so she could climb on my back and she did so with the biggest squeal of glee that I've ever heard.  We were all four off, Leslie and I acting as pack animals and the girls giggling at both being carried down Pearl Street.  Emma never stopped.  And while Addy squeezed at Leslie's sides and squirmed, Emma was completely still on my back (besides vibrating from laughter), afraid I think that if she moved I'd put her back down.  After two blocks we were all laughing, we just couldn't stop.  People stared and we were breathless and I mentally thanked The Lord I'd worn my flats that day, and we laughed ourselves over ten blocks, almost falling into a heap.

"This...is...the...best...day...ever!!" Emma breathed through the gales of girly giggles into my ear.

And in my heart I meant it when I heaved, bouncing her up and down the sidewalk and trying to keep my voice from catching while my heart was pumping fast, "Yes.  Yes it is."


2 comments: